Power Up YOUth, in collaboration with countless community partners, has gently shifted important policies that ultimately benefit our youth, hosted local consciousness-raising workshops and listening sessions, and consistently stressed the Science of Positive.
Did You Know?
- We were a founding presence in the Hamilton County Crimestoppers.
- We collaborated with Hamilton County municipalities to pass local Social Host ordinances.
- We hosted Listening Sessions with State Leaders, who heard first-hand local concerns about substance abuse.
- We joined the Hamilton County ISU Extension Service and Outreach to host, and partially fund attendance to, Crucial Conversations workshops.
- We host the Hamilton County Youth Summit each year.
- We initiated the intergenerational conversations that led to the Webster City Council forming the Youth Advisory Council.
- We connected the Iowa Office of Drug Control Policy to WCPD to obtain a free permanent drug drop box.
- We successfully advocated for drug-free kid zones at community events.
- We advise and support Hamilton County Extension to implement the researched-based Strengthening Families Program 10-14 curriculum for 7 weeks two times each year for middle school youth and their parents.
Results Produced Through All the Collaborations,
Hostings and Myriad Efforts
- Past 30-day use of alcohol among 6th, 8th and 11th graders dropped from 22% in 2005 to 12% in 2012.
- 11th grade past 30-day use dropped from 46% to 25% in the same time period.
- 2,773 volunteer hours in 2013 alone!
- The value of our volunteer hours was more than $52,000 in the last fiscal year!